- includes more than 5,000 headwords–plus short forms, plurals, alternative verb forms, comparatives and superlatives
- gives help with pronunciation where necessary
- features a special introduction for children, ‘What is a dictionary?’
- gives concise instructions on ‘How to use this book’
- includes clear guide words that indicate the ﬁrst and last headwords on each spread
- reinforces knowledge of the alphabet by providing an alphabet strip on each page
- features separate lists of high-frequency words (derived from Letters and Sounds), pronouns, opposites, synonyms, time words (including days of the week, months and seasons) and numbers
- provides additional lists of topic words on the themes ‘School’, ‘Places’ and ‘Travelling’
- ideal for use with the First Thesaurus (see opposite page), which gives synonyms for over 2000 of the headwords listed.
Designed for the transition between Key Stages 1 and 2, the First Dictionary may also be suitable for older children and young people.